Monday 7 January 2013

Girls Night Out for Mum


As a work at home mum, a night out with the girls is such a rare thing. You might find yourself asking "Girls night out, whats that"? I am mum of two girls (1 & 2 year olds) and just found out number three is on the way. I had my first girls night out the other night, well first night since having kids. Between looking after the girls and work, there is just not much time and even when there is - you either don't have anyone to babysit or it is too much effort to organise. Too much effort because you have to race around and get the kids fed and bathed, then on top of that have to get yourself ready. You go out and then get phone calls from your husband saying "The baby won't stop screaming" or "The toddler is chucking tantrums and I don't know to do." So then you feel guilty about being out and not really enjoying yourself but have a few drinks any way only to go home and have the baby waking up all night. Then both the baby and toddler waking at the crack of dawn and you are just so tired it is not funny. My husband is pretty good though, he wouldn't call or text me if the girls are mucking up and would get up with the girls while I had a little sleep in, but I do have friends who's experience is more like that, but you get my drift about how it can me more of a hassle to organise a night out than just not bothering at all.
The other night I had my first proper girls night out since having the girls and I was very excited beforehand. I finished work at 3:15pm, picked the girls up from daycare at 4:30pm, did a quick small grocery shop as we were out of the basics. Got home at 5pm, got the girls dinner, left the job of bathing them to my husband as I was running out of time. Went to pick something to wear,  then have my shower and realised my hair needed washing so I quickly washed it. Looked down and my legs needed shaving also. As a busy mum I don't get around to shaving my legs that often and normally wear long pants or a long skirt. Luckily my husband doesn't seem to notice if I haven't shaved. After my shower I am in front of the mirror doing my make up, which I don't wear very often and dam it, my eyebrows need plucking also! So I quickly do my eyebrows and recieve a text from my friend saying they will be there to pick me up in five minutes. So I'm quickly brushing the knotts out of my and hear 'beep beep' in the driveway. I say goodbye to my husband and kids, then race out the door with wet hair.
My friends husband dropped us off at the local pub. I can not recall the last time I was picked up to go out somewhere and could actually drink with out having to drive home. And yes I know the local pub sounds  very fancy (not) but it has a nice bistro. We had a few drinks, dinner, a great chat and a few laughs. I even had two cigarettes, the frist two in five years! Then the courtesy bus driver came around and asked if we would like a lift because the 11pm bus was the last one. We caught the courtesy bus home because none of our hubands could pick us up because they were all home with the kids asleep in bed. May seem early but its a late night for a mummy with young kids.
It was a good night and most definately have to make the effort to get out more. As a mum do you get to go out often?

No comments:

Post a Comment