Wednesday 2 May 2012

May 2012 Featured Business - Launch into Learning

Business Name: Launch into Learning

Contact: Melanie

Email: launchintolearning@hotmail.com

Website: www.launchintolearning.com.au

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/launchintolearning


Business of the Month Interview



Tell us a little bit about:

- Yourself
I am a mother of two girls aged 4.10 years and 7.2 years. My husband is in the defence forces. I have worked as an after school carer, nanny, babysitter, daycare assistant and classroom volunteer. I have studied Early Childhood Education through tafe and part time primary school teaching degree.

- Briefly about the history of your business.
My business started out as just private tutoring when my eldest daughter started school. I found that I enjoyed being a stay at home mum and wanted to be hands on and help out in the classroom where I could. I still had another 2 years with my youngest before she started school but she was already showing signs of wanting more structured learning experiences with others that I could provide her just at home. I went searching for a place where children could pretend they were at big school but that was not a daycare centre. I could not find this up here in Townsville. A few of my friends who had young children said that they would love their children to be able to attend a class which would help them prepare for school life.
I started with 1 class of 3 children (1 of which was mine) and grew to running 2 classes of 4 children in my second term. I have now been running for just on a year and have seen children learn so many things. It makes me very proud to have had a part in their success.
This term I am running classes from the Kirwan Tenpin and Squash Centre's function room. I run 3 levels of classes for children ranging from 2.5 years up to 5 years.
I still provide tutoring 4 afternoons a week from 3:30 to 6:30 for individual sessions.
- What your business offers
I offer pre prep classes that are for children aged 2.5 years up to 5 years. The idea behind the classes is to provide stimulation for children who are eager to learn and be part of a structured learning environment for short periods of time. These classes provide the building blocks for children to begin school successfully. There are 3 levels of learning for the children.
1) Shared Learning - this is for children aged between 2.5 years and 3.5 years who are not ready to leave there carer just yet. This session is similar to a structured playgroup. I provide all the materials and direct the group times but parents assist with activities and are responsible for their own child.
amounts and numbers and best of all know how to behave appropriately in a classroom environment.



2) Junior Rocket School - This is an hour session for children aged 3-4 years. In this class children's learning is focussed on shapes, colours, numbers and letter sounds. We learn through games, hands on activities, stories and worksheets.
3) Rocket School - This is a continuation to the previous level. It is for 4-5 year old children and goes for 2 hours. This class is designed so that the children can feel as though they are going to school. We have group time, free choice of activities, structured activities, story time and snack time. By the end of the year these children will know all their letter names and sounds, recognise and write their names, count to 10 and recognise and write their names, count to 10 and recognise amounts and numbers and best of all know how to behave appropriately in a classroom environment.

- Methods of advertising that you have found useful.
Facebook has been my best form of advertising although I am in the Sun and have tried the Bulletin.
- What inspiring words or advice do you have for other people who wish to start a work at home business?
If you believe that you have something that will fulfil a need in the local area than go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment